Chapter 2: The Heartbeat of Saigon
If Manila taught me how to survive the corporate ladder, Ho Chi Minh City taught me how to move.
When I first arrived in Vietnam in early 2011 to steer financial strategy within the fast-paced hospitality sector, the sheer kinetic energy of Saigon shocked my system. It was a city that never whispered; it roared. Millions of motorbikes flowed through the streets like a metallic river, moving with a terrifying, synchronized grace. Crossing the street required a blind leap of faith—you had to step off the curb, maintain a steady pace, and trust that the chaos would part around you.
For an accountant who lived by predictability, spreadsheets, and strict corporate oversight, Saigon was a beautiful, overwhelming paradox. It was decentralized, loud, and entirely unapologetic about its pace.
By February 2011, I was fully submerged in this world. My days were swallowed by the high-stakes demands of international hospitality projects. I was constantly calculating risks, balancing multi-million dollar sheets, and managing executive expectations. The pressure was a constant hum in my ears, perfectly matching the frantic symphony of traffic outside my office window. I was succeeding on paper, but internally, the friction of the grind was beginning to wear me thin.
Then came Valentine’s Day, 2011.
While the city celebrated, I found myself sitting alone in a bustling café, surrounded by the pulsing rhythm of the streets. The contrast was stark: outside, a sea of couples on motorbikes holding flowers; inside my mind, a racing tally of upcoming corporate deliverables. In that moment of isolation amid the crowd, a sudden wave of clarity washed over me. I looked down at my notepad. I was tired of tracking liabilities for massive corporations while completely neglecting the assets of my own life.
I opened my laptop and logged onto my blog, The Wonderful World of Numbers & Figures. But I didn’t type out an analysis of market trends or hospitality metrics. Instead, fueled by the manic energy of the city around me, I poured out a spiritual spreadsheet—a lifeline to keep myself from drowning. I called it the Five Simple Rules to be Happy.
At the time, they were just words on a screen—an idealistic framework penned by an executive trying to negotiate terms with his own stress. I hit 'publish' and watched the post drift into the digital ether. I didn't realize then that these five lines would become the very compass that would guide me out of the corporate maze, or that a year later, on the quiet beach of Nha Trang, I would have to fight to actually live them.
No comments:
Post a Comment