Chapter 1: The Matrix of the Margin
Long before the salt air of Nha Trang cleared my lungs, my life was measured in increments of fifteen minutes. My world was a landscape of fluorescent lighting, dark wood paneling, and the quiet, high-stakes hum of corporate boardrooms in Manila.
As a young Filipino Certified Public Accountant (CPA), I had been conditioned to believe that success was a linear equation. You studied hard, passed the grueling board exams, and entered the corporate arena ready to sacrifice everything for the upward climb. I was hardwired for the grind. I loved the absolute logic of accounting. In a world full of human chaos and emotional variables, a double-entry ledger was a sanctuary. If you put the work in, the debit always equaled the credit. It was clean. It was predictable.
I rapidly climbed the ranks into executive corporate finance, eventually stepping into the demanding roles of comptroller and project consultant. My days became an endless cycle: navigating the gridlocked traffic of Makati or Ortigas, defending financial strategies under the cold glare of corporate oversight where a single decimal point could alter the trajectory of a multi-million peso project, and sitting alone under office lights long after the janitors had cleared the floor, hunting down discrepancies in a spreadsheet like a detective chasing a shadow.
To the outside world, I was a success story. I had the title, the executive prestige, and the respect of my peers. I wore my exhaustion like a badge of honor, a common sickness in our industry. We joked about the lack of sleep and the skipped meals, completely blind to the fact that we were paying for our professional assets with our personal liabilities.
I didn't realize it then, but I was building a cage out of numbers. Every time I successfully reconciled a difficult account or salvaged a bleeding budget, I added another bar to the cell. My identity had become entirely fused with my credentials. If I wasn't Benito Mabeza, the sharp, analytical financial executive who could fix any corporate crisis, then who was I?
The first cracks in the armor began to show not as a dramatic collapse, but as a subtle loss of color in my everyday life. The stories I used to love reading remained unopened on my nightstand. The reflective traveler who used to marvel at the world was buried beneath an avalanche of deliverables. I was managing enormous corporate funds, yet my own internal account was operating at a dangerous deficit.
When the opportunity arrived to take on a massive project consulting role in Vietnam’s rapidly expanding hospitality sector, I viewed it as the ultimate professional frontier. It was a chance to test my financial acumen on an international stage, to navigate an even faster, higher-stakes market. I packed my bags, stepped onto the plane, and prepared to conquer a new set of boardrooms.
I thought I was simply moving toward the next logical step in my career. I had no idea I was actually running toward a wall—and that the ledger I had spent my entire life balancing was about to completely fall apart.
No comments:
Post a Comment