Friday, October 2, 2026

Chapter 4: The Calculus of Joy

 

Chapter 4: The Calculus of Joy

The shift from the hyper-saturated streets of Ho Chi Minh City to the quiet, salt-sprayed coast of Nha Trang was more than a change of geography—it was a sudden, dizzying decompression.
When I finally arrived on the tranquil shores in 2012, the silence was deafening. Away from the flashing monitors, the buzzing phones, and the packed boardroom calendars of Saigon, the internal noise of my anxiety grew louder before it finally grew quiet. I realized that writing rules for happiness in a city café was easy, but actually living them while staring down the barrel of total professional exhaustion was a completely different battle.
Sitting on the sand, watching the morning sun rise over an endless horizon, I knew I had to audit my life. I needed to take the Five Simple Rules to be Happy that I had penned a year earlier on Valentine’s Day and test them against the raw, healing reality of the coast. To survive, I had to translate corporate strategy into spiritual survival:
  • 1. Free your heart from hatred (Forgive your past metrics)
    In Saigon, I carried a quiet, simmering resentment toward the relentless corporate machine. By the ocean, I realized that holding onto that bitterness was a toxic asset eroding my peace. I had to forgive the industry, and more importantly, forgive myself for allowing my value to be dictated by a title or a profit margin.
  • 2. Free your mind from worries (Stop forecasting the storm)
    As a CPA, my brain was hardwired to project risks and mitigate future losses. But worry is just a bad interest rate on a debt that hasn’t even come due. The rhythmic ebb and flow of the tide taught me to focus strictly on the immediate horizon. I had to stop forecasting what could go wrong and simply learn to exist in the present.
  • 3. Live simply (Simplify the balance sheet)
    In the boardroom, we are taught to fear empty slots on a calendar and empty rows in a budget. But simplicity is where clarity lives. I stripped away the unnecessary complications of executive prestige and material status, choosing instead to value quiet mornings and unhurried thoughts.
  • 4. Give more (Offer presence, not just productivity)
    For decades, my giving was measured in corporate output, strategic advice, and deliverables. Reclaiming wellness meant shifting my investments. I started giving my authentic voice as a storyteller and my genuine presence to the world, rather than reserving my best energy for the boardroom.
  • 5. Expect less (Ditch the unrealistic projections)
    My burnout had thrived on unmet, rigid expectations—demanding perfection from a broken corporate system, or setting impossible internal targets. By keeping my expectations grounded and remaining content with the natural ebb and flow of life, I insulated my peace from external disappointments.
With the wind clearing the stale boardroom air from my lungs, the ledger of my soul finally balanced. Happiness wasn't a complex mathematical variable I had to solve for; it was simply a matter of clearing away the noise so the underlying truth could shine through.

No comments:

Post a Comment