Friday, October 2, 2026

Preface: The Auditor’s Ledger

 

THE BALANCE SHEET OF THE SOUL

Finding Peace in the Space Between Numbers

By Benito L. Mabeza, CPA

Preface: The Auditor’s Ledger



For decades, my world was governed by a single, unyielding truth: everything could be measured, reconciled, and balanced. As a Certified Public Accountant navigating the high-pressure boardrooms of Manila and Ho Chi Minh City, my mind was trained to seek order. I looked at life through the sharp lens of assets and liabilities, credit and debit. If a spreadsheet didn't balance, you hunted down the error. If a project lacked corporate oversight, you tightened the reins.
To the corporate world, I was Benito L. Mabeza—a seasoned comptroller, a strategic project consultant, and an executive trusted to steer financial strategy within Vietnam’s relentless hospitality sector. I wore that title like armor. I convinced myself that if I could manage multi-million dollar corporate budgets, I certainly had a handle on my own life.
But there is a quiet, dangerous fiction we maintain in the executive suite. We convince ourselves that our internal reserves are infinite. We push through the exhaustion, ignore the warning signs, and treat our health and peace of mind as secondary expenses to be dealt with later. We accumulate professional prestige while quietly letting our inner selves slip into a compounding deficit. Until one day, you wake up utterly bankrupt of spirit. That is the reality of professional burnout, and for a long time, it was mine.
This book isn't a manual on how to climb the corporate ladder, nor is it a guide to financial strategy. It is the raw, honest record of an audit—the most critical audit of my life. It is the story of how a man hardwired for logic and numbers had to sit in the stillness and learn the unquantifiable language of his own soul.
Beneath the tailored suits and the executive exterior, I always carried the heart of a storyteller and a reflective traveler. When the pressure threatened to crush me, writing became my lifeline. I started a blog, The Wonderful World of Numbers & Figures, not to analyze market trends, but to document a parallel journey. It became my sanctuary—a quiet space to explore mindfulness, stress management, and the elusive search for authentic work-life harmony.
The pages that follow are deeply rooted in my profound connection to Vietnam, a country that became both my crucible and my cure. Its landscapes served as the backdrops for my personal awakenings. You will travel with me to the kinetic, pulsing energy of Ho Chi Minh City on Valentine’s Day in 2011, where amid the roar of motorbikes I pinned a lifeline to myself: my "Five Simple Rules to be Happy." And you will sit with me a year later along the tranquil, whispering coast of Nha Trang, where the ocean breeze finally cleared the stale boardroom air from my lungs, giving me the courage to confront my burnout and reclaim my wellness.
This memoir is the culmination of those years on the road. It is an intimate look at what happens when you finally stop running, close the laptop, and look at the ledger of your life with absolute honesty. I wrote it for the dreamers, the travelers, and most of all, for the weary corporate survivors who are still trying to figure out how to balance ambition with inner peace.
Numbers can tell us how to build a business. But as I discovered on the shores of Vietnam, the most valuable things in life are the ones you can never count.

No comments:

Post a Comment